Murrup Barak hosts an annual camp which allows Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander high school students in years 11 & 12 to experience University life. The Camp is no cost to schools, students or families -- accommodation, transport to the camp and activities all covered by Murrup Barak.
The Murrup Barak Open Day camp runs at the same time as the University of Melbourne’s Open Day. You'll participate in a range of activities over three days: this includes meeting current Indigenous staff and students at The University, academic and admissions staff from the wider University and staff from the residential colleges. You'll find out what it's like to study here and how to apply.
Camp applications are now closed for 2018
The eligibility requirements for the Murrup Barak Camps are:
- Identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- Currently in year 11 or 12
- On an ATAR/OP pathway
- Interested in going to University after High School
Some of the things you’ll be participating in:
- A Welcome to Wurundjeri Country
- Discussion sessions with academics and students
- Various campus and faculty tours
- Yarning circles with current Indigenous students
- Melbourne experience from a student perspective
- Meet and greet with Indigenous staff and students
- University life
- Leadership activities
For more information or for general enquiries, please contact the Murrup Barak Outreach Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Process Explained
Student who apply for the Murrup Barak Camps will need to provide information on their contact details, parent or guardian contact details, emergency contact details, school information, travel details, answer the health questionnaire, and answer 3 student questions.
The following documentation will need to be supplied as part of their application:
- Indemnity and Liability Form + Photo Consent Form – to be signed by a parent/guardian
- Confirmation of Aboriginality or a completed Statutory Declaration
- Teacher Endorsement (letter or email)
- Year 11 results (Optional)
Please allow 40 minutes to complete the online application and make sure you complete and return the required documentation as quickly as possible.