Confirming your Eligibility

Your Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage is something that is personal to you. You do not need a document to identify as an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person. However, you will be asked to provide a document when applying for identified degrees, services or scholarships which are open only to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

When you apply to the University of Melbourne, you are asked to supply a Confirmation document or a Statutory Declaration to Murrup Barak. These documents are legally binding and must affirm that you:

  1. are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person by descent,
  1. identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person and
  1. are accepted as such within the community in which you live or have lived.

This enables you to access the full range of services and support through Murrup Barak, the Wilin Centre including:

  • Dhumbali Indigenous Orientation Week
  • The Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme
  • Access to study in Murrup Barak’s computer room, private study spaces, and tutorial rooms
  • Cultural activities, sports, and student wellbeing program including free lunches during semester
  • Mentoring from Murrup Barak’s Student Ambassadors throughout their first year of study

The University of Melbourne offer a range of programs, supports and pathways specifically for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and applicants will need to  supply documentation to affirm their eligiblity.

Undergraduate students

Graduate and research students

  • The Graduate Access Melbourne (GAM) entry scheme, which can assist with your admission into a course, a Commonwealth Supported Place, and consideration for the Melbourne Graduate Access Bursary
  • Access to the Melbourne Indigenous Merit Scholarship which is based on academic merit in the previous tertiary study (coursework students only)
  • Some faculties also offer alternative entry pathways for their courses, such as the Melbourne Law School or the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences which includes the Doctor of Medicine. You can find out more about alternative pathways on our graduate courses page.

What do I need to do?

You need to supply either a Confirmation Document or a Statutory Declaration to us at as soon as possible to avoid missing out on the services and benefits listed above. A photo of the document is acceptable.

If you are a graduate or research student, please include in the subject line which degree you are applying to.

We will contact you to confirm that we have received your document.

Confirmation Document

A properly executed confirmation document or letter from an incorporated Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander organisation in your name which affirms you meet the three criteria.

If you are in the process of getting a confirmation document, please submit a Statutory Declaration in the meantime so you don’t miss out on an offer.

Statutory Declaration

A Statutory Declaration of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Identity. This requires you to declare you live and identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and are accepted as such by the community in which you live or have lived.

Please note a Statutory Declaration is a legally binding document.

The University may request further information and/or documentation where it determines further verification is required or uncertainty exists.

Being dishonest about one’s identity and one’s connections to Indigenous communities damages the integrity and intent of service provision to address inequality and is harmful to Indigenous peoples.

If you intentionally make a false statement in a statutory declaration you can be charged with a criminal offence which carries the possibility of up to four years imprisonment.