Graduate Study

Graduate Programs

Graduate courses at the University are offered through various Graduate Schools and provide you with a professional, stimulating and supportive environment for your graduate education.

To find a suitable graduate course at the University of Melbourne or to find out more information about all graduate courses offered by the University, follow this link:

Graduate Applications

Potential applicants apply directly to the Graduate Schools: you can follow this detailed step-by-step process for your application

Access and Entry Scheme: Graduate Access Melbourne

Graduate Access Melbourne is the University’s special entry and access scheme for graduate study. Recognition as an Indigenous Australia is an eligible category for Graduate Access Melbourne, which can help you:

  • Be accepted into the course of your choice
  • Secure a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)
  • Receive a scholarship or bursary.

A Graduate Access form needs to be submitted alongside your application. See here for more information about applying for Graduate Access Melbourne.


You will need to apply to University accommodation separate to your Undergraduate Degree. Find out more about Residential Colleges at the University.


We've created a quick overview of the types of ABSTUDY available to students throughout which you can view here. It's a good idea to check with Centrelink about your ABSTUDY eligibility early on as well as on-going as your eligibility may change.

In addition to basic entitlements students can apply for Additional Allowances. From flights, to a Residential Costs Option that enables covers the cost to living on campus at a Residential College (all expenses paid, inc meals); Master's students can even request ABSTUDY pay 100% of their student contributions (HECS) course fees for them.


There are a huge number of scholarships available. Visit the central scholarship page and individual faculty page's to see what's available and to apply.

Indigenous Graduate Student Association (IGSA)

The IGSA is an association formed under the Graduate Students Association of the University of Melbourne to represent Indigenous Graduate Students.

Indigenous Health Science students

The Melbourne Poche Centre for Indigenous Health supports future and current Indigenous Health Science PhD students: Poche can help you find an academic pathway to begin your PhD, a supervisor and funding. They run also run a PhD Familiarisation Program for Indigenous students. Potential candidates are encouraged to contact the centre.

Professional Certificate in Indigenous Research

For Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Students who have recently enrolled in Research Higher Degree course at Masters level or above, The University of Melbourne offers a Professional Certificate in Indigenous Research.

Find out more and apply here:

Graduate Certificate in Indigenous Research and Leadership

For Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Students who have recently completed or near completion of a Research Higher Degree course at a Masters level or above, are eligible to apply for the Graduate Certificate in Indigenous Research and Leadership.

Find out more and apply here:

Contact Murrup Barak